Friday, August 8, 2008

Our "Storm"

Almost forget - two posts ago - I mentioned I'd tell about Storm. We have a new horse. WooHoo. Sierra and I are soooo excited:). This is Storm. He's a four year old paint. Todd's horse, Trigger, isn't doing so well....unfortunately, he's probably going lame. I have been trying to talk Todd into a new horse so that he could still come out on rides with me, but he has been really hesitant. He said that he was the ONLY one that had not fallen off a horse (cause his horse is soooo good...can you see me rolling my eyes?....even if it's probably true....I love my SPUNKY, SPIRITED baby even if I've fallen off three times). Anyways. I get him to go look at a couple of horses. We fell in love with the second horse. Of course, he's a paint (my fav). He knows his cues really well and is very easy going. Todd, Sierra, and I all rode him and were impressed how well he did.
But, then that changed out on the trail....he's still a four year old which means he's less experienced. I had said I was going to buy an 8-10 year old. But, that all went out the window, when I saw Storm. Anyways. We all go out on our first trail ride with Storm last Tuesday.
The horse just hasn't been out on the hard trails....wasn't too good with his footing and going SLOW down steep hills. It was kind of scary. A couple of times, it looked like he was going to crash going too fast down the steep hill. And, then when we were loping down the riverbed, I took a sharp turn knowing Cherokee could do it. Unfortunately, I didn't think about Storm. Todd and Storm were right behind me. The horse lost his footing and slipped. Todd fell off and Storm landed on him. Todd is okay....just very, very sore, and has gravel -rash on his back and behind. OUCH. I felt so bad. So much for "BEING THE ONLY ONE THAT HASN'T FALLEN OFF HIS HORSE". (I am trying to convince Todd that that makes him a real cowboy now:). This probably wouldn't have happened if we had bought an older horse. Maybe we need to turn around and sell him and get an older horse. ??? But, Todd, says no....he's defending him....lets give him some more time and experience out there first. The horse didn't do it on purpose. So, we're hoping that he'll get better....as long as he doesn't fall again on somebody else. :(
Do I get the loser wife award for buying a paint cause I love the color on the horse and not going with the rule of buying an older horse for the safety of my husband? hmmm. I hope Todd still loves me. He really is more important to me than my horses....I think:)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Ooh, but he is a pretty horse. This just means Todd will have to take him out lots and get the experience he needs. :)