Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sensory Clinic by the Mounted Posse

Part of the course
Last month, we had a great opportunity to attend a Sensory Clinic for horses put on by the Mounted Posse ...where a rider "desensitizes" his horse on an obstacle course. The goal is to have a horse that will not be spooked by anything, but trust his rider and go where he is told no matter what. One needs to remember that by instinct a horse is a prey - and will naturally choose "flight" over "fight" when scared. Horses often spook at huge boulders on the trail. I guess they think anything new to them might be a predator. Above the two horses stand on each side, preventing the middle horse from escaping. This ramp rocked forward as you walked on it. Cherokee didn't even hesitate. (Good boy!)
Our friend Lindsay rode our horse Storm. He did great, especially considering his young age. He didn't like the puddle of water. He now loves big bodies of water, but small puddles are still black holes to him.

I was very happy with how well Cherokee did also. He walked over the bridges, planks, poles, etc. Of course, his experience on the trail probably helps a lot with all of that. They even lit flares at one point and made you circle around a sheriff's patrol that had it's siren going off. I was very proud of my baby.
He had to stop and look at the tarp with water on it, but then he went over just fine.

The caution tape on the hand was one weakness. He wasn't so sure about that flying tape. But, eventually we got through it.

We even stood still in front of a fan blowing the tape all over us.
The mattress was a huge challenge. Cherokee didn't hesitate to cross when I told him to go. BUT, as soon as he stepped onto it, he wanted nothing to do with it. (The horses don't like the ground sinking beneath their feet.) We had to work hard on that one. We were told to follow a strong horse that would do it... if our own horse wouldn't (hoping the herd instinct would help). That seemed to get Cherokee to try it when we walked right behind another horse going over it. (He's such a follower)
And, yes, eventually we made it. That felt great!! I got him to even stand still in the middle of it. Yay!!!


We had a great time. Unfortunately, Sierra was out of town when they did it. They have another one scheduled for October luckily, so we are planning on attending that one. Hopefully, Cherokee will remember what he learned... and walk right through that caution tape and right over that mattress. It was a good challenge and a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Just Be us said...

Wow! What an interesting post, Cath! Anything I know about horses, I learn from your blog! What a beautiful horse Cherokee is! And you look so cute on him! So in High School, I never knew you were such a cowgirl. It's been so fun to watch you become one over the years!

And I will be very interested to see how Cherokee does at the next clinic in October ... if he will have overcome the uncertainty of the caution tape and mattress. Look forward to that post.