Sunday, June 7, 2009

the MAC

Way back in May:), Zane's second grade went on a field trip to the MAC. No, that's not where Big Macs are made, but it's the Maricopa Agricultural Center in Maricopa, AZ. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. I followed behind the bus in my car so that I could bring Wes along with me.
In their first station, they planted seeds and talked about what seeds need in order to grow. We brought these home and they really did grow. In fact, I was sure to take a picture of their plants, but now I can't seem to find the picture on my computer. Where did it go?




Zane was such a good helper to his little brother, Wes. It was so cute to watch.




Next, the boys learned about conserving water.



And, so a relay game was played after the lesson. Each team tried to conserve water by not spilling and getting their trash bin filled up the quickest. Go Zane go.



After that, we learned about eating healthy vegetables and fruit. We were even served a healthy snack.




Then, it was time for lunch. ...Can't beat a yummy lunchable either. I think the boys were hungry.




When they were done eating, they could "play" on the equipment, go through a hay bale maze, pump some water, and just have fun!









After our lunch/plau break, we went to three more stations. The first one was a tractor ride out to the radish fields.






The boys were so excited. They got to dig up their own radishes!! They even got to keep their radishes!!! (we won't mention how gross they tasted when we got home though)






Both Wes and Zane said this was their favorite part. How cool is that?!








Do those radishes look appetizing to you? Well, if you think so, looks can be very decieving.




Then, we went inside and made a cool bracelet with beads that represented everything that a plant needs in order to grow.




Here's all of Zane's group showing off their cool bracelets. Last of all, was a movie station. The field trip was a great success. The kids loved it. I loved it how they had such a variety of activities...and so "hands on". I would highly recommend it.
















1 comment:

Just Be us said...

Oh my gosh! How FUN is THAT!!!