Friday, July 18, 2008

Oh, What do you do in the Summertime Todd and Catherine?

I went out with the Pitts women last night to celebrate Debbie's birthday. So, Todd was home with the kids. And, what does Todd do (in the summertime:)? He takes Wes out on a scooter ride(vespa-kind) around the neighborhood. Of course, this time of year, there is a familiar buzz in the trees. Next thing you know, Todd and Wes were cicada/locust hunting. Yea, that 's what Todd does in the summertime (besides slaving away in a hot, unair-conditioned lawnmower shop:). **I found out later that he also helped Zane build a wooden tank from a kit that I had picked up at Michael's. What a good dad!

Me? I ride. Horses, that is. I got up at 3:40 am this morning to feed them so they wouldn't be grumpy on the ride. Then, I tried unsuccessfully to go back to sleep, but I was too worried about sleeping in. So, at 5:00 am we head out to Lower Bulldog - by the Salt River. We climbed some hills, loped through the riverbed, and ended up back at the Salt River. Last year, we had swam with the horses....but I was in a vinyl saddle. I wasn't too sure if I wanted to get my new leather saddle all wet. Jennifer, a 16 year old neighbor, tells me that we just do it bareback in order to "save" the saddles. What?! Never. I have never sat on a horse bareback. Okay, let's try. I wanna be a cowgirl. I take off my saddle and my socks and my boots, and very UNGRACEFULLY jump back onto my horse. (I don't think I should even call it "jumping" maybe throwing myself up onto him) And so, we went swimming on our horses bareback. LOVED IT! Cherokee is a natural in the water. Pepper, Sierra's pony, needed a little bit of coaxing, but then got in. You should have seen the smile on Sierra's face....probably just as big and cheesy as mine. I almost fell off in the water once, but luckily I pulled myself back up by the mane. It was soooo much fun. And, darn it, I didn't have a camera with me. I guess we'll just have to go back next week and do it all over again with my trusty camera in my cantle bag:). Woohoo!!!

3 comments:

Grandma Beanie said...

I love the way you celebrate each child and their uniqueness. You are one smart mother!

Laura said...

You sure make horseback riding sound fun!!

Danielle said...

Definitely get pictures next time. :)