We have a little left over stress in our family due to Weston's horrific scorpion sting a few months back. Yes, Weston has some of it. But, one would be surprised to find out that Wes is not the only worried stressed about the possibility of another sting. Until just recently, Weston wouldn't take a bath in his bathtub anymore (that's where he was stung). He always wanted to use my shower and so I left it alone. But, I noticed Zane doing the same thing. I didn't really think much of that though. I just thought that Zane liked our shower. I worried about Wes though. I didn't want to talk about it incase he had forgotten about the sting and it was just all coincidental. I guess I didn't want to know how much Wes remembered.About a week ago, I was in a hurry though and so I started the water in Wes' tub. I quickly put Wes in and he actually started to sit down. But, then he quickly popped up and mumbled something about a scorpion. He didn't freak out, it was like he was just stating a fact. I explained that the scorpion was gone and that I made sure there weren't anymore in his tub. It took a little bit of convincing, but he finally relented and took a bath in his own tub. YES! It might have helped that I made it a bubble bath with his very own LIGHTNING MCQUEEN bubble bath:). I tried to focus on that!!!
Since Wes' sting, Zane has voiced a little concern about what will happen if he gets stung by a scorpion. I always give him the normal reassurances that it probably won't happen and if it does, it will more than likely be like his other stings - a quick sting and maybe some soreness later. (He has been stung before and it hasn't been a big deal).
The other night, Zane comes in crying that he is worried about scorpions. Poor Kid. He didn't even see Wes' bad reaction to it, but I must have talked about it too much in front of him. First, I reassured him that since it was winter the scorpions have gone underground. (I think they hibernate?) But...if he did find one and happen to get stung...it will be no big deal....probably....hopefully. "But, what if..." questions Zane. I try to reassure him that if that did happen, we would go to the hospital and get the right medicine just like we did for Wes and everything would be all right. Then, Zane continues, crying while he explains his worry. "What if it happens at night?" I guess he thought Drs. got to sleep at night. So, I proceeded to tell him about 24 hr. emergency rooms and how all will be taken care of...even during the night. I think I finally convinced him. I suggested that he pray about it so Heavenly Father could make him feel better and not to be so worried about getting stung by a scorpion and having a reaction like Wes.
My poor little boys. That stung affected them more than I thought it did. They shouldn't have to worry like this. As Lance would say in his teenage tone of voice, "Dumb Scorpion! Get out of my boys' heads!"



2 comments:
Poor Zane and poor Wes. I can't imagine how scary that must be for a kid. And I don't doubt that Wes remembers it all quite clearly. It still shocks me how Justin remembers things from a long time ago.
Do scorpions really hibernate. Because I'll admit I'm a little freaked out by them now too. I'm glad we'll be there in December.
What a scary ordeal. That's too bad that it's so on their minds. It's partly the age, don't you think? I know it's really difficult for Conner & Corbin when they get scared to get over it very quickly.
Post a Comment